Thursday 16 June 2016

REVIEW AND SWATCHES: Jaclyn Hill X BECCA Cosmetics Champagne Glow

ITEMS: Jaclyn Hill x BECCA Cosmetics Champagne Glow Collection
PRICES: As below

U.S. Second Release date: 16 June 2016
Australia Release date: 7 July 2016

I am finally reviewing the BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Glow Collection! I was fortunate enough to have it sent to me (which I posted live on snapchat @mnhwanggg). But I would like you all the note that this is not sponsored, this is honest and genuine to the fullest.


Okay, so knowing that the second release is tomorrow for the U.S., I decided to quickly get this up in the nick of time to give you guys full swatches and reviews of the products.

SO LET’S GET STARTED.

But before I do, sorry that some of the products have no photos, and sorry that some are poor quality. I have had some technical difficulties. Luckily I have all the reviews and swatches ready for the LIMITED EDITION products in the launch. I am working on the others to fix them! I have posted this because I wanted it up before/during the U.S. second launch. APOLOGIES. Thanks for understanding.


1. LIMITED EDITION Champagne Collection Face Palette ($52USD)


So I really think that this is the selling point of the product. It’s the big guns of the launch – the face palette. This palette comes with 3 blush shades and 2 highlight shades.

The blush shades from left to right are: Rose Spritz (a shimmering golden rose); Amaretto (a shimmering dark rosy brown); Pamplemousse (a satin medium dark pink).

The highlight shades from left to right are: Champagne Pop (a warm peachy-orange gold); Prosecco Pop (a light-medium true gold with strong yellow undertones).




The packaging of the palette is gorgeous. The white and gold mix is one of my favourites so I cannot deny how beautiful it is off the bat. It is a very sturdy package with a click close. The mirror is big and very very clear. I love the packaging. The only downfall about the packaging is that it could be a bit heavy for travel. As much as the palette would be desirable for people to take on a holiday or keep in the purse, it is quite large (somewhat unnecessarily so), and it is quite heavy. But as I always say, if you want quality packaging, it is unlikely to be light.

So onto the formula of the products. Now, one notable thing about the formula that has been on a lot of Facebook pages that I am a part of is that the formula of the products in the palette is not the same as their individual products. That is, the highlighters in this palette do not have the exact same formula as the individual highlighters and the blushes in the palette do not have the exact same formula as the individual blushes.

This is notable, but since I am not a chemist (and I don’t know anything about science or chemicals or anything), I cannot tell you which is better or worse according to the ingredients. However, what I can tell you is that irrespective of this discrepancy, the formula of the palette is on point. I absolutely love the products inside and they are truly up to the BECCA Cosmetics standard.

The products are all highly pigmented, creamy easy to use and soft. I would actually suggest using a light hand for those that don’t like their blush or highlight to be too intense because these products are so pigmented and gorgeous that they really do pack a punch. So just be mindful of that for those of you that prefer more subtle makeup. But for those of you that really want to have a highlight visible from Mars, this product is gorgeous.

Jaclyn has stated that she designed Prosecco Pop to be for those with darker skin that couldn’t use Champagne Pop because it looked too ashy. I really think that Prosecco Pop is gorgeous and really will cater to that end of the skin complexion spectrum. But it is not limited to those with darker skin and truly a flexible product for all.

As for the blushes, I like subtle but glowy blushes so this is perfect for me! However, if you like matte blushes, then this palette is not necessarily perfect for you. Two out of three blushes have an obvious glow, and the third is still satin rather than a straight matte. So, although I love the palette myself, I would be mindful of the glow that will inherently be part of this palette.

Overall, I really really am impressed with this palette, from the packaging, to the products inside. I love how Jaclyn and BECCA took into consideration all different types of skin tones and different skin colours when designing the palette. It is really really beautiful. However I am mindful of the fact that it is an extremely glow-y palette which won’t suit everyone, the palette is slightly heavy, and the formula is not the same as their individual products. However these things are not really deterrents for me personally, just things that I wanted to point out so that you’re all aware.

Rating: 8.5/10

2. LIMITED EDITION Champagne Collection Eye Palette ($40USD)


Okay so I am going to keep this very brief and very short because this is not going to be released in the second release of items. The palette has 3 matte shades and 2 shimmery shades.

They are from left to right: Chardonnay (a sheer gold with pink undertones); Champagne Toast (a deep peach with cinnamon tones); Cordial (a matte rose); Cognac (a matte light brown); Bordeaux (a matte wine).



However the reason that this is not being released is because of the issues that have been going around about the quality of the eyeshadows. Now, if you watched my snapchat, I pointed this out.

At first I thought I was getting it confused and my swatching was not doing the product justice. I thought that maybe I got a dud product. Particularly because many people were so happy with their eyeshadow palette, but I just felt that the palette was a bit sub-par to my expectations – particularly the matte shades. They were quite dry and patchy. They didn’t go on smoothly and would skip a lot. To get good pigmentation, you really need to make an effort to pack on the colour and just go for swipe after swipe after swipe. I was very confused.


But alas! I was right. Several people complained about the quality of this palette and that’s why they have pulled it from the second release. Kudos to BECCA for listening to their customers. I actually don’t have an issue with either of the shimmery shades (because they are pretty much the highlighter in shadow form. Well… the texture and quality that is). Nonetheless, here are the swatches of this product! 

Overall, I was pretty unimpressed by this palette. Yes the packaging is gorgeous but the matte colours were not that impressive to me. I am not surprised it got pulled.

Rating: 4/10 (because the shimmery shades were good).

3. Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid Champagne Pop ($41USD)


So this is a product I haven’t really used. So I can only show you a swatch, my experience with the other liquid skin perfectors and about my first and initial impression on the swatch. So let’s just start with the swatch of this (and next to it I have swatched Opal for your reference).

Apologies, photos to come. 
I am facing technical difficulties, but wanted this to go up before the U.S. second release so people could see my opinions. This product is NOT LIMITED EDITION so hopefully you guys can hold your breath! I am so sorry. Thanks for understanding.

My experience with the shimmering skin perfector liquids have been really really good. They are so glowy and pigmented and make your skin look super healthy and… glowy (I am feeling like I have and will overuse this word in this post). Since I have dry skin, this is really desirable for me. But if you have oily skin, it may not be what you’re after.

I do think that the product is versatile though and there are several ways that you can use it. You could use it as a base under your foundation (giving yourself a really intense glow), you could use it mixed in with your foundation to bring a glow really strongly onto your face, you can use it on top of your foundation for more targeted glow, and you can use it alone with no makeup (all over or just targeted). Alternatively, you can do a mixture of these and look super glowy!

So I have truly had a good experience with the liquid. However I think that reviews have stated that this Champagne Pop one is a little less glowy than the Opal (which is the one I have used), and I think this is obvious in the swatch too. My first impression is that it is slightly more subtle that the original ones and gives a more natural glow rather than a “BAM” obvious glow. So I think that depending on what you’re after, you may or may not like this product.

4. Shimmering Skin Perfector Poured Crème Champagne Pop ($38USD)


So this is the other product that I haven’t really used. So I can only show you a swatch and tell you about my first impression about this product. So let’s just start with the swatch of this (and next to it I have swatched Opal for your reference).

Apologies, photos to come. 
I am facing technical difficulties, but wanted this to go up before the U.S. second release so people could see my opinions. This product is NOT LIMITED EDITION so hopefully you guys can hold your breath! I am so sorry. Thanks for understanding.

My first impression of this is that it is an interesting product. Rather than being like your typical cream (such as the Colourpop Highlighters), it is more balmy in texture. It is definitely more subtle than other highlighting products in this collection. I think that it will be good for those that just want something that is quick, simple and really easy to use. It is quite subtle and subdued so I think that it will be perfect for people who like something that isn’t too in your face.

5. Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Champagne Pop


So this is another permanent product and I am sure that you’ll see plenty of reviews on this baby everywhere on the internet.

Now, when I first bought this, I was really hesitant to love it because I really wanted to resist the hype. I really want to go against the norm and didn’t want to be a sucker for the hype. I also remember looking into the pan in Sephora and thinking “Wow… that looks so orange, it will NOT look good on me at all”. But still, I had to purchase it because I wanted to know whether or not it was good.

Now… I am obsessed. I love it. If you follow me on Instagram (@mnh.beauty), you know that I am constantly gravitating toward this highlighter. I have to literally refrain because I want to show more diversity. If I had a choice, I would use it everyday. I love to use it just on its own, or when I really want that HIGHLIGHT BAM WOW GLOW, I spray some MAC Fix+ on my brush and HOT DAMN, the highlight is banging.

So here are the swatches of this and some comparisons with other highlighters that I think might be comparable.

Apologies, photos to come. 
I am facing technical difficulties, but wanted this to go up before the U.S. second release so people could see my opinions. This product is NOT LIMITED EDITION so hopefully you guys can hold your breath! I am so sorry. Thanks for understanding.

Firstly, the formula is incredible. It is one of the creamiest highlighters that I have ever used. I would say it is comparable to the Mary Loumanizer by theBalm. It is so pigmented, glides on like a dream, stays on all day, and is such a beauty to use. The pigmentation is so crazy that you can probably see my highlight in out-of-space.

Secondly, the colour is on point. Like I said, when I first saw the product I was so hesitant because the colour looked very orange(?). It was so strange. But when I swatched it and when I actually use it, it’s just a gorgeous glow. No shimmer, no sparkle, no orange. Just a beautiful highlight shade that I think would work on such a wide range of skin tones and colours. I did hear that it looks ashy on some darker skin complexions, but I think that it does cater to a large range (although obviously not every single one).

I would say the only downfall with the product (as with every creamy highlighter) is that it breaks easily. If you drop it, you’re done. If you tap on the side too many times (to dust off the excess), you’re done. It will begin to slowly crack from the sides. But I think this is something to expect with ANY highlighter or product that has a creamy formula like this one with such high pigmentation.

Overall, I love this product. Literally in my top 3 highlighters. I have bought a back up of it, I received this one in the mail and I am still only one quarter of the way through my original. So… if you doubted my love for it, the proof is in the pudding. Here are some pictures of me wearing this highlighter just for your reference.

Rating: 9.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment